Five-Sentence Fiction – Prompt: Perseverance

_____________________________________________________________

What Are We Fighting For?

Although they’ve warned us that they’re about to shell the village, I’ve locked eyes – blue to brown – with a little boy on the other side of the dust-coated alley.  In English, I tell him to run, but he’s frozen in place by his fear.  I now have a choice to make.  When the tank booms like a starting gun, I sprint to the boy, but before I can reach him, I am sprayed with his blood.  Heart pounding, I wake in my barracks room and realize I’ve lived to fight another day.

_____________________________________________________________

What it’s all about: Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.

This week: PERSEVERANCE

16 thoughts on “Five-Sentence Fiction – Prompt: Perseverance

1. jtsuruoka says:

Wow… the word I would use is, ‘unflinching’. This is a tough piece to read, and by that I mean it’s as vivid an illustration of the horror of war as I’ve read in some time.

• Regina West says:

Thank you! I have several friends with PTSD who have to relive nightmares like that. It’s been very difficult for them and their families. Also, if you like this kind of story, watch Hurt Locker.

2. Sandra says:

Powerful piece – well done.

3. Louise says:

A very powerful & well written piece, Regina. I wrote a poem with a similar scene once…so moving…thanks for this (& your message) Much appreciated :)

4. Janelle says:

Wow, it was emotional, horrific, strong. The words “blue to brown” were fantastic, it really showed a connection of sorts between the man and the child. Really loved this, it’s just such a shame that it’s really happening out there.

5. Such a strong, descriptive piece that is even more powerful in the fact that it is so real. Well done. xx

6. claire says:

What a moving piece of writing. We have probably all questioned war before, but you make every moment so vivid and horrific. your imagery is incredible!

7. Brian Benoit says:

Really strong, especially because I’ve heard a real-life story that was eerily similar to this. His perseverance – what it means for him to live to fight another day – is well complicated here, as it should be.

8. Yes, the eye-to-eye contact is stunning and really brings it home. Vivid piece of writing Regina!